Monday, November 10, 2008

validity

so i am sitting here in the ecu library, it is monday before remembrance day, tenish, the woman beside me is eating an apple, pretty loudly, while staring at the monitor in front of her. Airconditioner does its usual thing what with constant not too annoying noise, outside it is sunny, rain has left vancouver, but left an unescapable wetness all over the island. Am sitting here trying to figure out where my research will take me, if this is even research. next to my computer lie three magazines, knowledge, opinions condensed into little bound sheets of paper. One is "Volume", the other ones are DAMn 0 19, and then there is " The Architectural Review". all are glossy papers like Vogue, like Harper's Bazaar. This is not really what i am vying for, I want just texts, just ideas. Just essays. I will show the prototype to the class in the presentation. Somehow I think the "only text format" gives the mag an aura of respectibility that all these photos cannot convey. They area destruction from the text. after all architecture and animation are visual, you experience them by either sitting in front of a monitor, a screen, sometimes lots of screens in a room, and with buildings you either move and motion around or move thru the space, the interior of a built construct. I prefer to translate the effect this has on me into words, into language. someone else will represent the reality of a building with a stunning photograph. For me talking about theory, talking more about the reality of a buiding, a film in abstract terms is just more fascinating. Don't really know why.

No comments: